Purchasing Procedures for CAC Sport Commissioners and Equipment Managers
PRESIDENT: Steve Conyer
VICE PRESIDENT: Dennis Bryant
SECRETARY: Ron Rosati
REGISTRAR: Sheila Fry
BOARD OF DIRECTORS POLICY #05-1
Statement of Purpose:
The CAC has grown into a large organization, with a large membership and corresponding large revenue base, and resultant demand for goods as well as services. As volunteers, managing the assets of the organization, and protecting the organization from financial deficit, has become a complex, and difficult job. Further, the transitory nature of the volunteer administrator base, combined with the loose and uncoordinated procedure by which the organization’s goods and services are procured, has lent itself to a type of disconnect between the organization and its vendor community, which has created a situation in which open invoices frequently remaining unresolved for periods which exceed the budgetary period in which the costs were incurred, and frequently exceed the term of the volunteer responsible for incurring the expense. In order to help coordinate the efforts of current and future volunteer Commissioners and Equipment Managers with the function of the Financial Administrator in the administration of these financial duties, the following standard procedures and guidelines are to be followed when purchasing goods or services.
All current and future CAC vendors and suppliers are to be instructed that all purchase of goods and services shall be made only by way of a CAC “purchase order”, issued by the CAC Financial Administrator. New vendors are to be registered with the Financial Administrator and Treasurer by the Commissioner, so that notice of the Purchasing Policy may be given to, and acknowledged by, the vendor, prior to the CAC engaging in business with the vendor. All vendors are to be informed that, without a CAC purchase order, no order for goods or services is to be accepted from any CAC volunteer official or other participant. This policy applies to all material purchases such as, but not limited too, playing equipment, field maintenance equipment, uniforms, training aids, and trophies. All vendors and suppliers will be notified that the CAC will not be responsible for the payment of any invoice, unless the purchase was made with a purchase order issued by the CAC Financial Administrator.
For expediency and practicality, smaller out-of- pocket one-time or emergency expenditures, such as administrative supplies; single emergency replacement uniform shirt or pants; ice; first aid, etc., up to a limit of $500 may be exempted from the “approval” process, although the Financial Administrator should be notified ASAP so a PO can be created and payment reconciled. These types of purchases should be kept to a minimum number of occurrences.
1. Sport Commissioners, and their Equipment Managers, will continue to determine various material and non- material needs, such as but not limited to, uniforms, trophies and awards, and equipment requirements, within the monetary limits set forth in their approved Sport Budget.
2. The Commissioner or appointed Equipment Manager should negotiate pricing and details of each purchase with vendor.
3. Commissioner should then submit a requisition notification to the CAC Financial Administrator which will include the following information:
a- Name of vendor
b- Purchase total.
c- What category of the Sport Budget the purchase applies to. If the amount budgeted in a particular category has already been exhausted, the Commissioner may request that the needed funds be reallocated from a different category, if available.
4. After review by the Administrator or Treasurer to determine that budget is not exceeded by purchase, approval of request will be given, and the Administrator will create a purchase order, which will include the total dollar amount which has been approved to be purchased. This process should be expedited within a short period following Commissioner’s request. The Commissioner (or sport Equipment Manager, with approval of Commissioner) will then submit the purchase order to the vendor.
5. Upon receipt of the goods or services, the Commissioner or Equipment Manager will promptly review the order for accuracy, completion and satisfaction, and then notify both the Vendor, and the CAC Financial Administrator, of any exceptions or shortages to the goods/ services requested.
a- Any goods to be returned to the vendor should be promptly processed by the Commissioner/ Equipment Manager for credit, with proper notification and verification given to the Financial Administrator.
b- Any shortages or backorders of product should be noted, and both the Vendor and the Financial Administrator promptly informed. The invoice will be held open for a short time if instructed, until the Commissioner or Equipment Manager approves the order as being received complete. If there is a delay anticipated in the complete fulfillment of the order, the items which were not satisfactorily received should be stricken from the invoice, the items which were received shall be paid for, and a new Purchase Order should be created for any re order of missing items.
By Vote of the Board of Directors
Steve Conyer, President