CROFTON ATHLETIC COUNCIL
Ways and Means Committee recently met to develop guidelines for Sport
Commissioners to use in developing and managing their budgets. The Committee met due to concerns raised by the
Board of Directors (the “Board”) over the budget process. These guidelines were subsequently reviewed
and approved by the Board of Directors at its
Each Sports Commissioner is expected to carefully review and follow the guidelines set forth below in managing their programs:
· All budgets must be submitted 30 days prior to board consideration to the Treasurer of the Crofton Athletic Council (“CAC”). The Treasurer will then prepare a reconciliation to previous season’s results and submit reconciliation/comparison and proposed budget to the CAC Board at least one-week in advance of board meeting. Spring sport budgets must be approved by December 15; therefore, budgets must be delivered to the Treasurer by November 15. Fall sport budgets must be approved by March 15; therefore, budgets must be delivered to the Treasurer by February 15. Winter sport budgets must be approved by May 15; therefore, budgets must be delivered to the Treasurer by April 15.
· If a Commissioner misses the 30-day deadline, the Ways and Means Committee will prepare a conservative budget for that Commissioner which will be binding on that Commissioner upon approval by the Board. The budget will be based on the prior year’s budget.
· Any sport that reports a deficit, must build that deficit into their next budget submission. No exceptions.
· All sport budgets must include a 5% surplus (miscellaneous expense) in their budget to account for unexpected expenses or subsequent price increases in equipment/uniform purchases.
· Budgeted fundraising revenues will be scrutinized by the Board and will require justification for inclusion in the budget. Prior history of positive fundraising results is an example of appropriate justification. Even if approved as part of the budget, funds for speculative fundraisers (those with no history) cannot be expensed prior to receipt of fundraising funds.
· It is highly recommended that all Sport Commissioners delegate budgeting and tracking of expenses to an assistant commissioner whose primary duty will be to monitor the actual income and expenses of the Sport against the budget. This person would review all reimbursement requests and/or invoices prior for approval prior to payment by the Treasurer of the CAC.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation in these matters. If you have any questions, please contact me at (301) 261-3827.
Chairman of the
Ways and Means Committee